Farran House originated as a two-storey thatched cottage, in 1918 it was burnt to the ground and subsequently re-built as a stone house in 1922. The oldest outbuilding dating back to 1918 still remains and is used as a workshop and boot room.
John Purcell bought the property and 70 acres in 1932, he extended to the rear of the property adding a kitchen and bedroom. He bought an additional 34 acres in 1937. John married in 1942 and raised two children, Stella (RIP) and Philip. Around 1970 the dairy herd was sold and milking ceased, the cow-houses were changed into stabling for horses.
Philip Purcell passed the farm over to his eldest son, Kenneth in 2012. Kenneth and his wife, Melanie are the third and present generation of Purcells to live in Farran House.